This is a repost of a blog entry by Heather Corinna from Scarleteen (a wicked-kick-ass teen website). It does a beautiful job of turning around prevalent ideas of resposibility for sexual assault and placing blame right where it should be. Awesome.
10 Surefire Ways to Prevent Sexual Assault
Submitted by Heather Corinna on Tue, 2009-12-15 16:12
Just a helpful reminder from Feminist Law Professors if you're looking for tips on how to prevent rape.
We agree with them that these ten tips absolutely, positively can prevent many sexual assaults without fail.
1. Don’t put drugs in people’s drinks in order to control their behavior.
2. When you see someone walking by themselves, leave them alone!
3. If you pull over to help someone with car problems, remember not to assault them!
4. NEVER open an unlocked door or window uninvited.
5. If you are in an elevator and someone else gets in, DON’T ASSAULT THEM!
6. Remember, people go to laundry to do their laundry, do not attempt to molest someone who is alone in a laundry room.
7. USE THE BUDDY SYSTEM! If you are not able to stop yourself from assaulting people, ask a friend to stay with you while you are in public.
8. Always be honest with people! Don’t pretend to be a caring friend in order to gain the trust of someone you want to assault. Consider telling them you plan to assault them. If you don’t communicate your intentions, the other person may take that as a sign that you do not plan to rape them.
9. Don’t forget: you can’t have sex with someone unless they are awake!
10. Carry a whistle! If you are worried you might assault someone “on accident” you can hand it to the person you are with, so they can blow it if you do.
And for those who want to check out the wicked cool teen health and sexuality website: http://www.scarleteen.com/