Thursday, September 29, 2011

Rennaissance woman

As it turns out, I'm not really falling apart at the seams.  I'm not combusting, imploding, or going ass over teakettle.  Okay.  I am.  But I'm also having a renaissance.  Yup, it's true.  Just ask my therapist. 

There are many, many reasons why I love my new therapist - not the least of which is her snappy fashion sense.  Really, it's snappy.  Also - she makes me think.  Rethink.  Turn with preconceived notions about myself, my life, my relationships, my choices - on their head.  It is both discomfitting, and pretty fucking liberating.  (To those of you who are feeling all twitchy and embarassed for me because I've mentioned the word therapist a zillion times in this post - I say this - Good lord, why aren't you in therapy?  Maybe it's because I was raised by social-worky-types, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why people are so scared of themselves.  And as a stay-at-home mama - I frankly find the opportunity to talk about my needs and thoughts for an hour once every two weeks to someone who cares (okay, she cares because I pay her too, but girls with limited chatting opportunities can't be too picky!) pretty effing luxurious.  Nuff said).   Anyhow - back to the renaissance. 

My therapist, whom, as I have already mentioned, is a smart, snappy dresser,  had me imagine what I wanted my life to look like in a year.  So I thought for a bit (this question is not as easy to answer as one might think) and began to describe what it might look like.  I won't bore you with the details, but it wasn't anything too outrageous.  And then, we talked about small ways I could go about making some of those imaginings look more like realities.  And she said to me something along the lines of:  "You're not falling apart.  You're having a renaissance!"   Now - while it is clear to me that I am actually falling apart a bit - I am sooooo loving this idea of a renaissance. 

This change in perspective alone is worth the cost of paying someone to listen to me talk... :)  (Like I said - why doesn't everyone go to therapy?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment