Friday, February 11, 2011

absentee

Lately - I fear I've become a but of an absentee parent.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm here. (Where the heck else would I be?)  Physically.  The kids are getting their relatively nutritious three square with some meh-nutritious snacks thrown in.  They're getting their naps.  Their outdoor run-arounds.  The laundry is done.  Dinner gets made.  Somehow. 

But I'm checked out.  Not focussed on the smalls.  There's been too much tv.  Not enough edu-ma-catin'/interactin'/let's-sit-down-on-the-floor-and-hang-out'in.  I'm not proud of it.  But that's the truth of it. 

Is it burn-out?  Boredom?  Depression?  I don't really know.  What I do know is that lately everything is taking more energy (particularly of the emotional variety) than I seem to have.  And so my tots are watching too much telly. 

I've decided I'm not going to feel guilty about it.  (I know their are parents out there reading this squirming in their seats at the mention of too much television and not enough interacting.  So be it.)  I'm not super-mom.  (There - my secret's out).   Hell - I'm not even sorta-super-mom.  The good news is my tots are actually too smart without my edu-ma-catin' help.   And I'm sure this parental listlessness won't last forever.  At least I think it won't. 

Given my penchant for being brutally honest about my parenting foibles, you can rest assured that I'll be sure and let you know. 

1 comment:

  1. I say good for you. Guilt is the worst...and I don't think you need to feel guilty for anything. If you do...well then I should feel guilty too because the TV is definitely on more often than not with my littles at the moment too.

    Life is ever changing...you won't feel like this forever! (but boy do I know how you feel right now!)

    ReplyDelete