Saturday, January 19, 2013

Friends who say the right thing

So I was having a visit, and many glasses of red wine (need this even be articulated?) with a dear friend (also a grad student) whom I haven't seen in quite some time.  She came before bedtime to visit with the kids, and was an enormous help by reading to Boy-o when Girlio had an evening meltdown brought on by exhaustion and needed my full attention.  It felt luxurious to be able to provide my full attention, and I had her snuggled into bed to sleep in no time.  Boy-o went down without my hitch a half hour later. A pretty regular Friday night chez Mama T.  Over-tiredness, exhaustion, meltdowns (the melter-downer alternates between the three of us, though on particularly special Fridays, we all go at once!) and bedtime.

Later, when my friend and I were into a bottle of red and good catch-up conversation, I confessed to her my feeling that I am feeling like a failure.  She laughed uproariously and said the most perfect thing ever.  She said: "Oh man.  No offence, but when I was watching you deal with the kids and put them down and then listening to you talk about all of the crazy school stuff on top of that, I was thinking: I wouldn't trade places with you for the world! How are you still standing?"

I don't think I have ever, in my life, felt more validated.  And I was SO not offended.  ;)

I may not exactly be keeping 'afloat'.  I may have a to-do list longer than Santa's.  But GD-it.  I'm still standing. Almost upright, even. And if the lights get shut off because I forgot to pay the bills again, I'm gonna hang on to that.




No comments:

Post a Comment