Wednesday, October 14, 2009

heterosexualizing kids...

L. and I are really trying to raise our kids not to make assumptions around gender and sexual orientation.   Whoever they choose to love in their lives is fine by us, as long as they are true to themselves, and happy in their choices.   But the rest of the world is really intent on trying to make our kids (and everyone else's) believe that straight is the only way to be.  And it really, really pisses me off.

Statistically speaking, 1 in 10 people (and I think this stat is a bit low) is queer.   Just think for a second, how much less terrifying, painful and isolating it would be for those 1 in 10 to come out and to be at home in their own skin, if we just stopped indoctrinating everyone that straight is the only choice out there?


"Ooooooooh look at those eyes.... he's going to break all the girl's hearts"

"Fathers, lock up your daughters!"

"All the girls must be after you little man!"

"Want to be my daughter's boyfriend?"

If I had a dollar for everytime someone said this to or about my son, I would be a rich, rich woman.  

First of all.  My son is two.  He's not allowed to date yet, okay?  (and besides which, it's just plain weird that we talk about two year olds in such a sexualized manner).

Secondly, he hasn't decided if he's straight yet.  When he lets us know, I'll let you know. 

Thirdly, whether he's gay or straight or somewhere in between, he's likely going to be breaking everyone's hearts, cause he's so freaking cute.  

Alright?

No comments:

Post a Comment